Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Cough Cough

I wanted to write about today's Mind Your Body's article about not feeding cough and cold medicines to children under 2.

Of course I'm happy because I've always been anti-chemicals. I believe in letting your body fight it out. (Although now that I'm a mom to a little dynamo, a quick -chemical- fix is sometimes just what I need.)

Then, I wrote lengthy paragraphs on products grown/produced/modified unnaturally.Perfectly red/green capsicums (hydroponically grown in controlled greenhouses, of course). Rice that resists pests. Trans fats.

But, it turned out a very long, rambling entry and I was sounding more and more like.. like.. *gasp* myself (!!!) I deleted the paragraphs away.

I wonder, how much of what we're eating is affecting our insides without us realising it. We may look all healthy and well on the outside but all the health woes of today - cancers of all types, newer and more virulent strains of the common cold, fertility issues, clogged arteries - I wonder if all these 'new foods' that we eat are responsible for the increasing medical problems of today.

I think it's just a matter of time before I start choosing organic items over their suspiciously produced counterparts. But, well, if my time in the kitchen is always more like a hazardous science experiment than anything else, it seems like it'll be a loooooong while before I can turn those organic products into tasty, healthy and most importantly, edible dishes.

 

Coughing again. Robitussin? I'll pass this time.

 

 

2 comments:

izadnhana Ismail said...

im wary of and resist drugs and chemicals as much as possible too, doesnt help that we're allergic to panadol rite?

if organic food didnt cost so much more than normal food, maybe a lot more of us would be healthier. :S

nad makhuda said...

yup. organic food costs a bomb although prices have been falling steadily over the years. let's hope it will fall enough to make them more affordable. and organic daging daging halal too, please!!

and yup yup - i'd rather let the virus run its course rather than use medicines to suppress it. i was able to do that in the past. but now, how? if i'm sick and sleeping all the time, i cant imagine the damage huda will cause to herself and the house (assuming i fall ill on a weekday). susah, hor?