Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Lessons from a Trip to KL

KL is our favourite short-getaway destination.

It is about 5 hours away on a bus (unless you get the slow coach that we had or have to suffer 2.5 hours of jam at the Causeway which we did).

What do we like most about KL? The eating. It's such a joy to find such a wide variety of food which are halal. Yum yum.

I'm glad it's not my first trimester. I ate and I ate and I ate. And because I cut down my intake of water so that I wouldn't need to visit the loo too often, I was never quite full. Ouh. That meant, I ate and I ate and I ate even more!

But, of course, the moment I got home, I downed three full cups of water. I was that thirsty, especially because I only took little sips during the 2.5 hours in the jam as I didn't know when it would all end.

Now that we're home, I told Huda that she can body-slam herself against my bladder as often as she wants. She did that a lot on the slow coach to KL. It didn't help that the coach was just a rickety old bus given a facelift.

Every time after a trip, we'd have a post-mortem of sorts but we'd forget all about it by the time we go on our next KL trip because we are forgetful. So, here are our thoughts, just so that we'll have something to refer to next time.

1. Find out which bus company uses that bus station behind Concorde.

2. Never stay at Federal Hotel.

3. With Huda around, we cannot afford to go by Causeway on the way back. We can only take the train or the plane. For planes, it cannot be from KUL-JHB. It has to be from KUL-SIN. Cost is not an issue when sanity is at stake.

4. We shall never visit Berjaya Times Square. The places to go are Mid Valley Megamall, KLCC, Jalan Masjid India, Victoria Station, Bukit Bintang.

5. Bring a map and study the map on the way there. Not, when we are already there.

6. Speak Malay like Malaysians! Even to the Starbucks-Cafe-dude-who-called-himself-Fido-whose-real-name-is-most-probably-Apid-Bin-Leman who insisted on English. Never fall back to English. Where else can we use Malay to speak to people in the service industry. And, where else can I practise my poor command of the language?

Okay. That should be all. Unless I can think of a few more.

No comments: