Sunday, October 23, 2011

Language and Everything Else

The kids are doing some work at the dining table while I'm on the ipad. Heh. (I have a love-hate relationship with the ipad. But that's another story.)

Huda

Huda can now read quite well. There are huge areas for improvement, of course. Like rhythm and intonation. But, for now, I'm satisfied with her progress.

However, there's the issue with Singlish. I'm not from the I-detest-Singlish camp. I see value in it but only after the kid is competent in English. So, my ears hurt terribly when she goes, 'Inside have a spoon.'

Gaaaah! I am now in the process of forcing her to use 'There is...' and 'There are...' in her speech. It's not an easy task because I'm sure that she has friends who use 'have' to start their sentences.

Then there's the wrong structure for questions. She goes 'You go where?' when asking people where they are going. I must have corrected this at least 3000 times so far but I still hear this too often!

I'm hoping that by the middle of next year, I would be able to weed out all these problems and that she would speak in grammatical English. Hopefully, she would develop an ear for correct English and would know the correct contexts for English and Singlish.

---


Farah.

Farah sometimes likes to call people by anything except by their actual names. One night, while saying goodnight to her father:

Farah: Bye bye Momok. (ghost)

Ayah: Ayah bukan momok. (I'm not a ghost)

Farah: Ok. Bye bye Bukan-Momok.

---

She's not reading yet.

I used to put the Baby Can Read videos on for Huda. Although she couldn't talk til very very late in her toddlerhood, she could identify words. I remember that after a few months of Baby Can Read, she could identify the beginning sounds of words. For example, if I have a couple of word cards in front of her, she would be able to correctly pick out the cards for the words I want. When I give her a new word which she has not seen before, she would choose the word cards that begin with the same sound. I once put in the word 'butterfly' in the set of word cards she had. Up to that point, she had never seen the word 'butterfly' before. When I asked her to pick out 'butterfly' among the set, I noticed that she only picked out the words that begin with the /b/ sound. I believed completely in Baby Can Read after that.

Unfortunately, I'm not doing Baby Can Read with Farah. Tsk.

She enjoys being read to and insists that we read her countless of books. This is her father's area. Every evening when he comes back from work, he will spend at least half an hour reading to the kids. We visit the library every one to two weeks so there's a constant supply of fresh storybooks for them. This father-daughter reading time gives me some time to rush through housework: hanging the laundry, vacuuming and mopping.


TV

The kids still don't watch TV at home. Of course, they do watch TV when we are at other people's homes but not at our own place. There are three videos that they watch sometimes though - Baby Can Read, Baby Signing Times & Iqra' (that's something like Arabic phonics).

Some people are surprised when they discover my no-TV policy. The standard questions will be:
Do they ask for it?
So what do they do at home?
How do you go about doing your work?
What if your daughters don't know anything about TV shows when their friends are talking about their favourite shows?

Short answers are:

1. No. They don't ask for TV when we are at home because it's simply not switched on when they are awake. We do have cable but we don't have the kiddy channels. 

And no, it's not like we replace TV with computer games/ipad/iphone either. I am pretty much a Luddite when it comes to kids' entertainment. The more low-tech, the better. The kids are only allowed a limited use of the ipad on Sundays. About 20 minutes each. Even then, I sometimes distract them with a whole lot of other stuff that they forget about the ipad.

2. What do they do at home? They play/fight/play/draw/fight/play/colour/fight/read/play. They are used to keeping themselves entertained without the use of screens.

3. When I needed to cook or clean in the kitchen, Farah would take her toys and play at my feet. There is a kids' table in the kitchen and that's her work station when I'm there. When I'm hanging the clothes out to dry, she'll help me pass the clothes pegs. Vacuuming the floor will see her trying to chase the vacuum cleaner and sitting on it. When both are at home together at the same time, it's much easier because they will keep each other entertained. 

4. My children know plenty about Dora from the books we bought and borrowed from the library. Huda loves the Disney Princesses but she doesn't know who they are exactly. There are plenty of books we can get if we want her to know about the princesses but we hate them princesses. Life is not about spending your entire life looking for a prince charming. Ptui. 
(This fixation with the princesses may be a losing battle for us parents, though.)


Iqra'

Huda is now at Book 6 of Iqra'. That's the final book of the Iqra' series. She is a rather reluctant reader when it comes to practising this because while she can read, she does not understand what she's reading. Once she finishes book 6 (by the end of the year, I hope), she can start reading the Quran. I want her to start reading the Quran and at least cover 1/3 of it by the time she goes to Primary 1. This will make it easier because once she's comfortable and more fluent reading it, she just needs to spend 10-15 minutes reading it daily and I just need to check her recitation.


Primary School

Primary school will be a frightening time and I want to make it as smooth-sailing as possible. The only way to do that is to prepare her sufficiently for it so that she won't have to struggle. I hope that I am on the right track and that my daughters will not cause grief to their teachers!


House-Hunting

Saturday's headlines: Resale flat prices keep going up. I'm giving up. I'm not going to harbour hopes of getting another flat anytime soon. I'm just going to go ahead and get my floor to ceiling shoe cabinet.

---

I started this on the ipad but finished this of on the laptop a week later. The ipad is simply not a machine for typing. 

8 comments:

Ana mn said...

Nad, what's the full title of Iqra' series? Where can I get them? How often does Huda practice her Iqra's series?
This is one area I am worried about. U see, both hubby and I can read the Quran but we don't know how to teach. When we did, it was irregular like once a week or once every two weeks. So, we sought the help of my niece to give her one-to-one iqra' coaching. She came down twice a week until she got busy with school and have not been turning up since. Skarang dah berbulan bulan tak visit Iqra' so I'm kinda freak out cuz I was able to read when I was in P1 and my daughter masih not that fluent.

nad makhuda said...

rohana, it's called iqra'. you can just go to those shops selling buku2 agama, like toko warisan et al. ask for the iqra' book. it's very cheap. i think less than $15 for the entire set. book 1 is so simple, sarah should be able to finish it in 1-2 weeks. just a/ba/ta/tha/ja. book2 also quite easy. but the challenge comes from book 3 onwards. this was when i started moving very very slowly. i really like this way of learning how to read the quran because it's very systematic.

masa kita belajar ngaji dulu2, there was no iqra'. only muqaddam. now i look at the muqaddam again, and i understand why my tajwid rules semua koyak. muqaddam is too simplistic. now as i teach huda, i'm learning too. so, it's a very good thing.

i try to do it daily with huda but there were periods when we only did it once a week. that was dangerous because when we went back to it, waaaaaaaaahhhh.... all the monsters came out. dia baca merangkak2, and i become a monster. so, no matter how tired and exhausted i am, i will make sure we do it at least 6 times a week now.

tea tea said...

nad, ure my inspiration. hazim watches tv everyday at home. although i do try to restrict it, he still asked for it wen he's drinking his milk and we gave in. haiz.

Iqra' - my practise with him is so irregular and we haven't moved beyond page 3 of book 1. and how long has it been since i bought the set? oh gosh. this is terrible. i will try to follow ur lead.

Great to know huda can read well already and she's not even 6 yet! yey!! :) so clever!!! :)

I believe in Baby Can Read too- was quite religious showing hazim the videos then and like huda, he could pick out the sounds of the alphabets- a few, like 't' for tiger and 'c' for car , back then.

Farah is so entertaining hor! heheheh!

nad makhuda said...

it's very difficult to keep kids off tv once they know it's there. oh yes, i forgot! i allowed huda to watch ketuk2 ramadan during ramadan because it helps to stop the whining at the end of every fasting day. after ramadan was over, she asked for the tv but after one to two weeks of NO, she stopped asking.

iqra' - i know what u are going thru. after a long time of not doing it, it's so difficult for both mother and child, right? i had the same problem also. i was sooo reluctant to face iqra' because i didnt want to deal with the whining and the crying and the howling and the screaming (mine).

then, i realised that my niece who's a year younger than huda was already ahead of her. so, i steeled myself and went through it. (motivation not very pure lah - competition. but better that than not at all.)

we only started doing regular iqra' again after ramadan. before that, with me starting work and then the fasting month, our schedule just went out of whack. the first 2-3 weeks of daily iqra' were torturous. huda could spend 1 hour plus crying and wailing. the reading itself took less than 20 minutes. alhamdulillah, things are much much better. like pakcik johnson says, no more tears.

Kai Ling Lim said...

Nad, most parents would be very conscientious instilling a love for reading at a very very young age. What many failed to do is a love for Mathematics that needs to be inculcated too!

Start with Masak (is that how you spell), get them toy cooking utensils and start math from there. It is absolutely neccessary!

nad makhuda said...

kailing!!! just the person i want to ask! how? how? how? how to create a love for numeracy? for literacy, reading is the most effective way, but for numeracy?

are they all through incidental ways like thru cooking/baking (which i do very little of)? (and yes masak is the right word for cooking although when it comes to playing, it's normally called masak-masak)

huda is pretty okay when it comes to these incidental things. i observed her playing with beads with her cousins and she loudly and confidently said "there are 6 beads here so each of us can only take 2" (there were 3 of them). but when i play addition games with her like, each child shows a couple of fingers and they all take turns counting how many fingers there are altogether, she's not confident and just whispers her answers.

so how? how to develop a love for numeracy? what 'incidental' things can i do with her to develop a mathematical mind?

Kai Ling Lim said...

good old games we had, cooking, real and masak masak. Lego blocks.
they won't like the finger counting because it's not authentic, it's pretentious and it's obvious you are trying to teach math...:)

Take her shopping and ask her to get xx number of canned food for you, cut fruits and ask her to distribute on each plate, give her money and ask her to pay for small little items. Let me brainstorm and will type more when I'm on christmas break..:)

nad makhuda said...

Kailing, I'm thinking of fractions now. plenty of opportunities to teach her fractions at home. Another thing that I want to achieve real soon is teaching her how to tell time on an analog clock. I remember teaching my brother how to do this before he went to P1 (somewhere between nursery - k2). I hope to do the same for the girls within the same time frame. I remember that the flik flak watch really helped. with analog clocks, comes counting in fives and the concept of multiples.

But what I fear most is primary school math. Problem sums. Sigh. You said to leave the teaching to teachers. I wish I can do that!