Saturday, April 17, 2010

Oil


1. Once again, I missed a meet-up with friends.

It's becoming too much of a habit.

For weeks, I look forward to the day of the meeting. Then, the little one will fall ill. Not just a little cough or a bit of the sniffles. No, oh no. A full-blown something, it has to be.

Today, I'm supposed to have some dear, dear friends over.

Three days ago, Farah developed a fever. No problem, I hoped. Saturday would be the third day and she would be okay by then. Maybe it was just a low-grade fever related to her teething. But of course that wasn't the case.

On Friday night, her temperature soared to 40.9 degrees. We gave her the suppository medicine and her temperature went down to 38.5.

In the morning, it shot up to 40.1 and we packed her off to the clinic. At the clinic, we were referred to the hospital. After blood and urine tests were conducted at the hospital, she was allowed to go back.

The reason for her fever? Possibly viral fever.

She's been having fever almost every month and she does not even go to school (where she can easily pick up all these bugs). The doctors said that although it is rather frequent, it is not a cause for alarm. As it is, she's seeing a doctor at KK for regular check-ups after her bout of bronchiolitis.

The blood tests done today and another one done last month (when she had fever) showed that the haemoglobin levels in her blood is rather low. Her red blood cells look paler and there are more ovalocytes. (I think that's what the doctors said. I'm really quite lousy in all these science things. Ask me about cation and anion if you don't believe me.) Anyway those things point to two possibilities: thalassaemia or iron deficiency. If it's thalassaaemia, I hope it's just the minor one and no further treatment needed. If it's iron deficiency, then, there are supplements to help her. I just hope that there's a cure to her monthly fever.

Aaaaaanyway, coming back to the main point, last month, I was supposed to meet another group of friends. You know how difficult it is to plan meet-ups when you get to this age and everyone is busy with their own lives. So, when a window of possibility opens, you grab at it and make yourself available. I was sooooo looking forward to seeing my friends from uni days but Farah was sick and as one of my friends had given birth to a preemie (29-weeker!), I would not want my kids going anywhere near that girl and sharing all their germs with her.

Two months ago, it was a gathering of my friends from primary school that I had to miss. See the pattern?

TheHusband told me not to talk about future meetings and gatherings in front of the kids. We will just whisper to each other and we won't even write it down on the calendar at home lest the kids look at it and decide to fall ill on that very day.

Random picture of a girl at a hospital today. Picture inserted to give your eyes a break from all the text.

2. Since I'm talking about my dearest Farah, I will continue talking about her.

She is now 1 year and 2 months old.

I am quite sure I have done more than my share of worrying during Huda's era so now with Farah, I am a lot more relaxed.

At 1 year 2 months, Farah is just learning how to walk. She would take two or three steps before tumbling down. Sometimes, I think she just enjoys crawling around. That way, she can inspect every square inch of the floor for dust and bugs and other strange stuff found on my floor and eat them up. She thinks she's a vacuum cleaner.

And only now, at the grand old age of 14 months, her teeth made their appearance. 4 of them decided to pop out of her gums at the same time. She's been a toothless baby for the past 14 months. No complaints there because I'm still breastfeeding her and a toothless baby is much easier on the, erm, on the, erm, on the body parts which it involves. :p

Speech? Hur hur. She can call out for me. She does not seem to have a name for Ayah although sometimes she seems to call out Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa for Huda. Besides that, bird is buh. Cat is buh. Bus is buh. Tree is buh. MRT is buh.

But, I'm not worried. Huda was a late developer too but she is all fine now. So, take your time, Farah.

3. Huda is 4 years old now and she has an insatiable curiosity for everything. The Whys are coming very very frequently. Why does it rain, Mak? Initially, I would tell her the story of the water cycle but it's much too boring for her and she didn't understand my explanation so she'll ask again and again. I've since learnt to tell her that it rains so that the trees can drink water.

She's into pretend play now and she often pretends to be a teacher to her roomful of students. Sometimes it's a cashier. She's going to visit a farm next week with her classmates so I bet she's gonna be a farmer next.

She has finally, finally (!!!) started sleeping through the night and her toilet training is complete. She's off diapers for good.

4. I've signed the girls up for Kids Run at the end of May PROVIDED none of them falls ill on that day. (Sigh. Why do I have a bad feeling about this?) Anyway, to prepare for the 800 kmm race, we have been doing some practice rounds ourselves. We are very sure that Huda can cover the 800m but I'm not all that confident about me. I am just lousy at PE. I confess that throughout my entire life from primary school to junior college, I have never run the entire distance of 2.4 km. I am one of those people who always always stop to walk. And worse, when I was in JC2, each time we had to do practice runs for the 2.4 km event, I will fake all sorts of illnesses and so the only time I covered the distance was during the actual test date. (Funny how I ended up conducting PE classes.) So, you see, fitness is never my thing. And that is not how I want my girls to be. That's why I signed them up for Kids Run, hoping that they'll have an early start to a healthy lifestyle.

5. This entry has taken me a long time to write. I've been here since 8.30pm and now it's 10pm. Goodness.

Gonna stop now and hopefully, the next time I update won't be such a long time from now.



When allowed to make her own choices, she'll end up wearing a red T-shirt with an orange skirt and turquoise pants.

10 comments:

Ai Li Tay said...

Nad - you are too funny!
We missed you today.
Btw - last year when I went to BBK, the queen and i bought some dresses for your little ones, and it finally made its appearance today with the queen! So I hope to pass it to you soon =)

Ai Li Tay said...

And, why is this titled oil???

nad makhuda said...

my face was oily when i started writing this so it inspired me to title this as such. :p

i hope to see you before the girls outgrow the clothes! then again, farah will be able to wear huda's so it's okay. i'm glad to know i'm missed. so narcissistic, right? :D

farah updates: just like i predicted, she's almost fine now. last temperature check: 37.1. BUT, if we were to meet up tomorrow, i'm sure she'll still have a raging fever now.

tea tea said...

wah kakak huda did the ka.ren ch.eng eh? hehe.. she's a trend setter not a follower la.. :)
kesiyannya farah.. :s i hope her ailment wont be anything serious...tt's y fb games help u to destress is it?? take care mak!

btw, i remembered seeing ur baby picture long long time ago in the super old pacnet account and i thought farah looks so much like u!!

nad makhuda said...

yati - i had to google karen cheng to find out who she is. some kind of fashionista eh? but huda is errr, fashion no style ah. she takes after her mother who has zero fashion sense. :)

i hope farah has nothing too serious too! whatever it is that she's having, i hope it can be fixed easily. i dont want something chronic and long term.

and i must look for my old old pictures lah. the times when i had a big head and an even bigger forehead. hehehee. i put up those pictures in my homepage in the past. classic seh that word - homepage. that page got killed when i terminated my account with pacnet.

nad makhuda said...

i looked at the blog some more and more of her pictures. she's always taking photos of herself with the camera in her hand ah? i seee! now i understand what it means to do a karen cheng. heh heh. i am obviously very much behind times and sooo not up to date, hor?

tea tea said...

nad,BINGO! alah..it's nothing la.. hehe!

yeah homepage man..so old skool! hey u were the one who introduced me to this homepage cum blogging thingy then! haha!

Liza Ali said...

toddlers' vocab is so funny. Ilhan pronounces 'abang' as 'abam'.

nad makhuda said...

it's hilarious, right?? my nephew calls his cousin - whose name is adam - atai. :D

nad makhuda said...

eh, but you were waaaaaaaay ahead of me with irc and stuff. heh heh heh..